Thursday, 21 August 2008

The Island's Four Towns from the Air











Just thought I would stick these aerial views of the towns onto this post..... the one of Peel having appeared earlier in these blogs. Needless to say, I didn't take them though I did try to take some shots of Peel from a helicopter one time . Not a great success, though I do have a very good DVD, ' The Isle of Man from the Air.' Anyway, if any of my American cousins are viewing these blogs I just hope you are enjoying them and not TOO bored with it all ! Any comments would be gratefully appreciated .

Oh, I just added a picture of the Point of Ayre, the Island's Northern tip. You can see the shape of the Island though it is the 'wrong' way up ! Ramsey lies in the curve of the bay under the cloud. The area of water you can see is a flooded gravel pit, now attracting a lot of wildlife. Helen and I camped out there in the summer of 2004. As mentioned in a previous post, this Northern Plain is a fairly recent addition to the Island, very fertile now and consisting of sand and gravel left behind as the ice receded for the final time after the last Ice Age, about 15,000 years ago. Ha ha!. Not only do you get news and views on these blogs.... you get a geography lesson thrown in for free!! Click pictures to enlarge .

No comments: