Thursday, 11 September 2008

Another Picture for Julissa.




This is a picture of Douglas, the Island's capital, taken from Douglas Head...at the Southern end of the bay. I was born in Douglas , at the far end of the promenade, just where the road rises up a hill., but we moved to Onchan, a small village , at the top of that hill when I was still quite young.
The structure on the rock in the middle of the bay is the Tower of Refuge....built in 1800's to give shelter to shipwrecked seamen who managed to hit this reef, which is just submerged at high water, when sailing into Douglas. This tower was built by Sir William Hillary who went on to found the RNLI [The Royal National Lifeboat Institution ] which now has 100's of lifeboat stations around the British coast......five on the Island . It is his statue that stands now looking over the bay. The modern harbour, was of course, not built in those days .
The semi circular bay in Douglas is two miles across, with sandy beaches and has been likened to the famous Bay of Naples in Italy

Click on the picture to enlarge and scroll across to see the entire photo.






1 comment:

Dona said...

Hi John. I have so much to catch up on. I haven't been on for a while. Seems between mom, the miniature horses, and the mustangs I get nothing else done. BTW you can go on Midwestmustangandburro.com and read about our mustang group. I've just glanced at your blog today. Lots of really nice pictures. I will catch up on your post later today. Dona