Friday, 12 September 2008

Peel....looking North


I just found this picture of Peel and the bay looking Northwards to Jurby Head in the far distance , and I think it is worthy of a place on this blog. It shows the older part of the town with its narrow , twisting streets, though there are newer housing estates on the edge of the town. I live in the old part of the town, just by the Cathedral. . If you look carefully, just to the left of the white lighthouse, you can see where the rocky cliffs North of Peel merge into high sand cliffs. These sand cliffs continue Northwards for about 15 miles around the Point Of Ayre and back down to Ramsey where the high rocky cliffs begin again. This large flat area, consisting of sand and shingle, known as the Northern Plain , is a fairly recent addition to the Island, being laid down at the end of the last Ice Age.

Click on picture to enlarge and scroll to view entire picture.

No comments: